Friday, April 2, 2010

Imaginary Cowgirl: Envy Strikes


Most of the time I am quite content here in my little house by the Atlantic Ocean. Lately, however, I have noticed that...

1. I have become consumed with the desire to live in Texas.

2. If not Texas, then I wonder if I could have a horse in my backyard, or if I could convince my neighbor to have one for me. He is old and Italian and he hides all kinds of stuff back in his yard: chickens, pigs, sheep, rabbits. He might do it.

3. But I would have nowhere to ride it. Plus there's the problem of the torn rotator cuff, which is killing me.

4. I take perverse comfort in the fact that after having the shoulder fixed, I'll be able to ride the horse I cannot have here, and do not have in Texas.

5. I admire a deep sea-blue cowboy hat with a rounded crown.

6. I would like to find a very tame bull that has been standing in the sun. I would like to put my face to its neck and breathe deeply.

7. I want to be where it's calving season.

The problem with being an imaginary cowgirl is that you miss out on calving season, and your horse is imaginary, too.