Wednesday, February 1, 2012

The Sacramento Report

This bull riding was complicated: four ways to watch/listen, two events (the real one and the event-within-the-event), several forms of media (Twitter, Facebook), the LEC (which all by itself has audio/video/live photographs, leaderboards, live scoring, detailed scoring).  It was a combination of attention deficit disorder, an arcade game, and the kind of carnival ride that leaves you dizzy and slightly nauseated.

Note: That is not a complaint.

Is is an excuse, though, for why I seem unable to say a whole lot about this event.  A few things that stood out:

1.  Seven 90 point rides in the 15/15.  I listened to it on the LEC, and ended up disappointed in the actual televised event.  This led me to feel that the scores were inflated.  The rides were good, but not quite that good.  The other thing this taught me is that "radio" and "bull riding" and "I liked it" can co-exist in the same sentence.

2.  Marco Eguche is the new Silvano Alves.

3.  Cord McCoy is the new Luke Snyder.  Or maybe he's just the new Cord McCoy.

4.  Chris Shivers making a ride is still an exercise in perfection.

5.  I'm worried about Douglas Duncan and Dustin Elliott, two really good riders in danger of being cut from the tour after Baltimore.

6. That image of Guilherme Marchi picking up his rope and watching the arena replay video with blood streaming down his face - well, that kind of told the whole story.

7.  Great to see Mike Lee, J.B. Mauney, and Jordan Hupp, all with 58.33% riding averages.

8.  You can tell when J.B. Mauney is going to make the whistle right at the beginning of the ride by the way he moves his free arm.  I've been watching this for a while, and I assure you, it is true.

9.  I hate Twitter less than I used to.

Sorry, that's all I've got this week. My excuses: The ADD and whiplash rides are getting to me.  The dog ate my homework.  I didn't wear a helmet.