Monday, September 5, 2011

Buckin' on Lake Eufaula

Last weekend, LJ Jenkins presented his second annual "Buckin' on Lake Eufaula” bull riding event.

The event began last year when he and a buddy decided to put together a bull riding in Eufaula, Oklahoma, which is a few miles from LJ's home in Porum.

"I've been throwing the idea around for a long time," he says.  "Last year it went over real good.  The town really liked it and we had a great crowd."

This year he decided to add $6,000, and also to add a bull team competition.  He had 30 riders a night signed up as well as 10 bull teams.  Each contractor brought four bulls, one for each of three long rounds and one for the short round.

"The bulls are going to be outstanding," Jenkins said, before the event.

After all was said and done, Ryan McConnel, who also lives in Oklahoma, won the bull team competition.  The headliner in the bull department was Circle T Ranch and Rodeo.  They had a trailer of bulls there both nights.

This won't be the last bull riding in Eufaula, or the last bull riding event LJ puts on.

"I'm not one to just put on this one," he says.  "I'm one to put on a few of these next year."

He says that the Eufaula event will be the biggest, with the most money added, but that there will be others throughout the year as well.

"I'm always thinking about my future," he says, "And if I get hurt tomorrow riding, I want to be able to do something else and make money."

As for the rest of the year, LJ, who in addition to his sixth position in the PBR standings, is seventh in the PRCA bull riding standings, hopes to compete in the PBR Finals and in the NFR.   But first, he wants to reverse his recent riding percentages.  "I've run into bad luck somewhere.  I don't know what I ate or what I run over, but it's gotta change."

Based on  past performance, it will.