Friday, October 28, 2011

Round Two at a Glance

A better showing last night, with 24 rides (as opposed to nine in Round One).  I was in a somewhat cranky mood throughout due to the absence of bull score announcing during the broadcast, but there were some good rides and some gutsy performances.  Here are a few of the things that stood out for me.

  • Alves, Palermo, and Oliveira stumbled on Wednesday and stepped up last night.
  • For Finals event average races, never count out the guys who have won the World Title in the past.  Witness Chris Shivers, Mike Lee, and Guilherme Marchi.
  • Why I don't make predictions:  Who amongst us would have predicted Sanderson at the top of the event leaderboard and Mauney and Connolly in the top five? 
  • Another reason why I don't make predictions:  Just for the heck of it, I picked ten guys I thought would make their rides last night. Half of them did.  Actually, that's not too bad.  Maybe I'll make some more tonight, but I won't be saying who they are.
  •  Injuries to worry about:  Jason O'Hearn (head and knee) and Jock Connolly (looked like his legs). 
  • Excellent to see Crosswired have a good out.  Speckled Ivory never disappoints.  Copp Hou surprised me.
  • I know that Whiskey's Rebel is hard to get out on, but I thought Tyler Thomson had a couple of chances that he didn't take the first time in there.  This is a good bull. I hope they can find a way to calm him down in there.  And I hate the halo.
  • Still no sign of Erin Coscarelli. 
  • Note to NBC dude:  When you interview someone through a translator you are supposed to look at the person you are interviewing, not at the translator.  You are not supposed to refer to the person you are interviewing as "he."  Basic etiquette, dude.  And please don't tell me you called Silvano: "Guilherme" after the final interview?  I know.  You did.  I will chalk that one up to an honest mistake, though a bad one.
  • After Wednesday night's opener, I thought the PBR had realized that having that drill sargeant guy does not exactly convey "mainstream sport."  Alas, last night proved me wrong.  
  • On the other hand, thank you to the PBR for getting the Round Two results up so promptly, for the live streaming, for the video in the Live Event Center for those who don't get Versus, and for doing a good job overall. That said, now we have the following department:

The department of "REALLY, IT'S IMPORTANT"

Half of this deal is the bulls, and probably half of us watch mostly because of the bulls, so please get us bull scores displayed prominently.  Last night the only bull scores posted were for the buckoffs.  The others were posted judge by judge, but it got a little old trying to tally those up.  I really don't understand why at some events they manage to post the bull scores and others they don't.  It's a mystery to me.  One I don't like!  (Told you I was cranky.)

The five high-marked rides:

Valdiron de Oliviera - 90.75
Rubens Barbosa - 90.75
Sean Willingham - 89.75
Aaron Roy - 88.75
Connolly / Lee / Duncan / Shivers - 88.25

Finals Event Average race:

1/2.  Rubens Barbosa - 176
1/2.  Caleb Sanderson - 176
3.  Jock Connolly - 174.75
4.  Guilherme Marchi - 174.5
5.  J. B. Mauney - 173.25
6.  Valdiron Oliveira - 90.75
7.  Sean Willingham - 89.75
8.  Aaron Roy - 88.75
9/10.  Ryan Dirteater - 88.25
9/10.  Mike Lee - 88.25

The World Finals title race:

1. Silvano Alves - 12,866.5
2. Valdiron de Oliveira - 10,987.25
3. Robson Palermo - 9,052.25
4. Austin Meier - 8,130.75
5. Guilherme Marchi - 8,043.5S9

High-marked bulls:  

Copp Hou - 44.75 (Lightning C)
Hee Bee Gee Bee - 44.75 (Boyd/Floyd)
Speckled Ivory - 44.50 (Circle T)
Cowboy Casanova - 44.25 (Mesa Pate)
Priceless - 44 (Page)
Crosswired - 44 (Page)

Pedigree notes:

603 Gypsy Boots (formerly known as Penguin) is a Wilfong bull (BW 72/2 over BW 341).  Grandsire on both sides is Wilfong's The Darkness.  The granddam is a Broke Back V daughter. (Robinson)

7312 Whitewater Trouble is a Whitewater grandson.  (Teague)

563 Heebee Geebee is by Kish's Winchester (Mr. T / Kish breeding) out of a Kish cow. (Boyd/Floyd)

22S Priceless is a Best Shot son with Houdini on the sire side and Kish's Lock &  Load on the dam side. (Page)

651 The Situation is a son of Hot Damn (who is also the sire of Amy's Pet and Damn Right). (Dakota Rodeo/Berger)

Cowboy up Moment:

Goes to Robson Palermo and J.B. Mauney.  I've had both of those injuries and can attest to the pain.

Quotes of the night:

"Ben has a tendency when he hits the ground to go to sleep."  (Shorty Gorham)

"You gotta be a cowboy. You gotta be tough. A cowboy's supposed to be tough. I try to be."  (J.B. Mauney)

"I know I'm capable of greatness."  Kody Lostroh

It was either, "I'm not getting out on that m-----f-----." or "I'm getting out on that m-----f-----."  Either way it was LJ Jenkins.  Followed by:

"Good thing we're on cable."  Craig Hummer

Today's schedule:

All times are Eastern Time, all events live streamed except for the Round Two coverage, which is on Versus:

3 p.m. Flint's Outside the Barrel Show
7 p.m. Red Carpet Entrance
9 p.m. Round Three on VERSUS
11:30 p.m. Post-event Press Conference
1 a.m. Round Four Draw

Round Three draw here.


*** Click here to get Rank by email. ***