Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Shoulder Rehab: An Insider's View

I just got back from PT and all I have to say is this: Kody Lostroh, I feel your pain. After my shoulder surgery I told my doctor that on a pain scale of one to ten, if childbirth was a ten, the shoulder would be a thirty. I wasn't kidding. I would have a ten pound baby every day for a month rather than go through this PT for two months (and counting). It is a good thing that my physical therapist is funny, nice, smart, and good looking or I would have decked him by now.

Typical PT Agenda:

1. Heat

2. A series of exercises designed to make you cause yourself pain and increase mobility.

3. An interminable session with the physical therapist in which he manipulates your arm and shoulder in ways that cause you to wish that one of you were dead.

4. Ice

5. Repeat three times a week. The self-inflicted pain, you get to do that twice a day on your days off.